Sweet Potato Casserole with Bacon Streusel
Published on Wed, 05/14/2014 - 3:35pm
For many, the best moments involve precious times spent with those they cherish the most. When this special family bonding happens in the kitchen, it’s easy to create memories to last a lifetime.
When you’re in the mood to try out new recipes, look for those that bring the whole family together. Add crunchy texture and sweetness to a classic casserole or a decadent sundae with a special treat, such as new Cracker Jack Chocolate & Caramel Popcorn snacks. You’ll serve up some smiles and new family memories while creating these recipes, which feature this scrumptious, caramel-coated favorite.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (about 6 large sweet potatoes or one 40-ounce can of canned drained sweet potatoes, plus one 29-ounce can)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, cold, cubed
- 4 strips bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 2 cups Cracker Jack Original Caramel Coated Popcorn and Peanuts snacks
- To make potatoes, preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 3-quart oven safe casserole dish with nonstick spray. In large mixing bowl, whisk milk, sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and salt together. Add mashed sweet potatoes and pineapple and stir until well-combined. Transfer sweet potato mixture to prepared casserole dish.
- To make streusel, whisk together flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon in medium mixing bowl. Cut in butter using pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbs form. Add crumbled bacon and sprinkle streusel mixture over potatoes. Bake until potatoes are hot and streusel is crisp and golden, 45 to 55 minutes. Top potatoes with the Cracker Jack snacks and marshmallows and return to oven until marshmallows are lightly browned, about 3 minutes.