Do you know these 10 facts about curds?
- Have you Heard: Wisconsin cheese curds get their fresh flavor from top-quality Wisconsin milk (thanks to State of Cheese’s ideal climate, land and happy cows). It takes 10 pounds of milk to make one pound of cheese.
- Wait, So What is a Cheese Curd? A cheese curd is young cheddar. Instead of growing up into an aged block of cheese, they are separated from the whey during the cheesemaking process, leaving behind a solid curd of cheese that has a milky flavor. They give you an eye into the magic of cheesemaking, since all cheese starts by separating the curds from the whey.
- The Snack that Squeaks: Fresh cheese curds will make a squeaky sound as you bite into them, but why? The elastic protein strands in the curds rub against the enamel of your teeth to create that characteristic sound.
- Fresh is Best: The “squeak” is also a sign of curd freshness. And by fresh we mean they were made less than two days ago.
- No Curd Left Behind: If you don’t eat all of your curds within two days, you can restore the squeak by microwaving them for a few seconds. (You are also blessed with immaculate impulse control.)
- Beware of Cheese Curd Imposters: Many manufacturers (outside of WI) trick consumers by simply breaking up cheddar to disguise as curds… but don’t be fooled!
- Variety is the Spice of Life: Cheese curds can be white or yellow because they are typically made from white or yellow cheddar cheese, and they come in many flavors. Aside from the traditional cheddar curds or occasional muenster curds, you can also find fresh cheese curds in flavors like garlic, spicy Cajun, taco or mild ranch.
- Curd Lover’s Dreams Come True: There’s an entire festival dedicated to cheese curds where you can celebrate, admire and eat Wisconsin cheese curds.
- Cheese Law: You must have a license to make cheese in Wisconsin and Wisconsin is the only place outside of Europe where you can pursue an elite Master Cheesemaker certification (which takes approximately 13 years). You’ll find some of the very best curds in Wisconsin.
- Curd Ambassador: Culver's, the popular Wisconsin-based restaurant is the unofficial cheese curd ambassador, selling millions of their infamous fried curds a year.
*Still hungry to learn more? For more information, check out: WisconsinCheese.com