Bright, sunny lemons after a long winter are such a God-send! Just looking at a perfect lemon or a recipe made with bright yellow lemons seems to brighten any day. Thank goodness for this seasonal goodness when most fruits and vegetables are far out of season. I can’t resist picking up a bag of Meyer lemons in the market—they’re so beautiful and so delicious!
Mini-desserts and small plates such as tapas are so popular now. Even though we seem to want to eat smaller portions, we still want to enjoy something sweet without feeling so much dreaded guilt! These little Mini Meyer Lemon Parfaits are perfect for just that.
One little bite of this luscious lemon curd and you’ll be puckering up and feeling the same way. Sunshine in a mini parfait glass is sure to brighten up any day.
Mini Meyer Lemon Parfaits
• 2/3 cup granulated sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoon lemon zest
• 1/2 cup fresh Meyer Lemon juice
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
• 2 teaspoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
Cookie Crumb Layers
• Italian ladyfingers (store bought is just fine)
• or any cookie of choice: shortbread, amaretto cookies, or graham crackers
• Whipped Cream
• Fresh heavy cream
• Vanilla extract
• Combine the sugar, lemon zest and eggs in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk. Cook until sugar dissolves and the mixture turns light in color (about 2-3 minutes)
• Stir in lemon juice and cook for about five minutes or until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly with a whisk
• Remove from the heat and whisk in the cold butter and vanilla bean paste or extract.
• Strain the curd for a smoother texture
• Cool the lemon curd before covering and chilling in the fridge for at least 2 hours
• Crumbled cookie layers: Place cookies in a plastic bag and gently pound them into the size of crumbs that you prefer
• Gently whip the heavy cream.
• Add the sugar and vanilla.
• Whip again, but only until soft peaks form.
• Place cookie crumbs in the bottom of parfait glasses
• Next spoon in one or two teaspoons of lemon curd
• Spoon or pipe whipped cream layer on next, about a tablespoon
• Repeat with a second layer of each with the layer of whipped cream on top
• Garnish with lemon slices and/or mint sprigs
Written by Roz Corieri Paige
Published : 03/27/2018 - 12:57pm
- Whipped Cream
- Roz Corieri Paige